.

Monday, June 4, 2012

Jared Gilman and Kara Hayward of 'Moonrise Kingdom' - Celeb News

Jared Gilman and Kara Hayward of 'Moonrise Kingdom' - Celeb News

Kara Hayward as Suzy, and Jared Gilman as Sam. (Focus Features)

There's a special place for children in Wes Anderson's world. Frequently the unwilling victims of his films, Anderson has featured kids prominently in almost all of his movies. Enter Jared Gilman and Kara Hayward (both 13), the latest child actors to appear in the live action diorama that is an Anderson production. Daunting, to say the least, to be in any film at such a young age, Gilman and Hayward prove quickly they can hang with the film's all-star cast.

They are the stars of Moonrise Kingdom, Sam and Suzy, who meet, fall in love, and run away together, thus causing bedlam in their small New England town. The two actors are sweet and natural in their scenes together. Gilman is a charmer as he leads Suzy through the woods, proving himself a capable outdoorsman. Suzy remains cerebral at first, revealing little, but soon shows she's the boy's match in both intellect and chutzpah. Might we be seeing two more stars in the making in young Gilman and Hayward? If their natural, and completely Andersonian performances are any indication, my bet is a resounding yes.

We had the chance to talk with both Jared and Kara about their experiences working with a famous director, their first make-out scene, their trip to the Cannes Film Festival, and what they think of Twilight and The Hunger Games.

Zimbio: What's the coolest thing about working on a [Picture] Wes Anderson movie?
Kara Hayward: I don't think there was really one thing in particular that I'd point out as being the coolest thing about working in a Wes Anderson movie. I really felt the whole experience was just so amazing. It was absolutely an honor and a blessing to be there, and even after it was finished filming, going to Cannes and seeing the movie get the recognition it deserved for being such a fabulous film felt so great. I was just happy to be a part of it.
Jared Gilman: Like Kara said, there were many many things about working on this movie that were really great. I guess, to answer your question, I really loved the sets. The amount of detail that was put into making the sets was really well done and helped us get into that 1960s environment.

Z: What about the costumes, was that Khaki Scout uniform uncomfortable?
JG: Not really, it wasn't that uncomfortable. I got used to it since I had to wear it like every day.

Z: I know Wes likes to prepare by showing his actors different films. Did he ask you to prepare by watching anything?
JG: Yeah, he had me watch Clint Eastwood's Escape From Alcatraz.
KH: He had me watch a film called Melody and he also had all of Troop 55 go down to watch a movie called Blackjack.

Z: What did you think of Melody, Kara?
KH: I thought Melody was absolutely lovely. It was a beautiful story and had such great characters in it. It was fun to watch.
JG: I thought Escape From Alcatraz was pretty cool. It had a lot of good tension and I thought Clint Eastwood was good in it.

Z: Do you think it helped you with the role?
JG: Yeah, in a way, it kind of showed me how Eastwood's character is a bit like Sam. They're both very resourceful and capable.

Z: Kara do you get why Wes showed you Melody?
KH: Yes I do. Not only does it take place around the '60s, the character, it was pointed out to me, is a bit like Suzy in the way she was very quiet and sweet but also very protective of her loved ones.

Z: Wes typically uses young actors in his films and I thought you guys fit right in with Max Fischer and Margot Tenenbaum and the rest of them. I wondered if you could talk about what goes into being a Wes Anderson kid?
KH: Thank you very much. Well, Wes is really so brilliant, so talented, so kind. He's an amazing person overall and he makes it very easy to fit into the world he's created for his characters.
JG: Thank you. That's a good question. Yeah, Wes is one of the few true artists out there I think. He really knows how to take a great idea and make it into a great script and then turn that great script and paint a picture and make that into a really great movie.

Kara Hayward at Cannes (Getty Images). Z: The last scene you filmed was the kiss, and I wondered what your parents thought of that scene?
KH: Well, it was part of the movie. I wanted to do the movie and they said, "Well you know this is part of it?" And I said "Yup." And they said, "Well, go for it!"
JG: My parents weren't upset. They weren't uncomfortable. They realized once they read the script that this was gonna happen. They didn't want to stop it; they just let it happen.

Z: What was your favorite scene from the movie?
KH: My favorite scene to film was probably the scene between myself and Fran McDormand which was a very beautiful mother/daughter moment... very sad, very sweet and it just showed the two characters at their most vulnerable point.
JG: I had a lot of favorite moments in the movie. I really like a lot of the storm stuff and the scene when Sam and Suzy first meet and Sam's confrontation with Redford (another Khaki Scout) was pretty good and came out well and was a lot of fun to film as well.

Z: You worked with a great cast. Can you tell me what you learned from working with Bill Murray, Bruce Wllis, and Frances McDormand?
JG: Bill Murray taught me how to tie a tie. I was doing a fitting for a costume where I had to wear a tie and I didn't know how to tie a tie at the time because I never really had to wear a tie... ever. In fact, the first time I ever saw a tie I screamed and ran around my house yelling "No tie! No tie!" So everyone there were all women so they didn't know how to do it, and Bill just happened to be right there and he looked over at me and said "Jared, come over here. I'll teach you." And I went over and he told me how to tie a tie.
KH: That's a childhood memory you'll never forget... I think this is more of an example than really advice given: Fran McDormand always likes to run lines really quickly before shooting a scene so I realized after doing that with her it makes it easier for you to realize what the other actor is going to do and how you can kind of react and play off of what they're doing.

Z: What was the highlight of the week at Cannes?
JG: There were so many moments at Cannes that were amazing but I guess the best moment was seeing the movie in front of an audience of more than 2,000 people. That was really really amazing. I felt so honored at that moment. It was really cool.
KH: I think the applause at the end of the premiere was pretty amazing. It was a standing ovation that, I believe, they timed at about seven minutes. It was so amazing to see how happy this film made this group of people and I was so happy to be a part of it. That was a moment when I felt so blessed.
JG: I was speechless when that happened. I was standing there in utter shock of how long it was going. It was amazing.

Bill Murray at Cannes (Bauer Griffin). Z: That is pretty awesome. Did you get a chance to see any other movies at Cannes?
JG: I saw Madagascar 3. It was a cute movie.
KH: I also saw Madagascar 3. It was absolutely so sweet, very funny.

Z: Can you guys break me off your top five favorite movies?
JG: Top five... I guess: Sam Rockwell's Moon, Drive, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, The Matrix, and Kick-Ass.
KH: Let's see... other than Moonrise Kingdom?

Z: (Laughs) Yes, other than Moonrise, good call.
KH: (Laughs) I really like 1994's Little Women, of course The Darjeeling Limited, Fantastic Mr. Fox... um.
JG: You can use anything I said. It's OK Kara.
KH: (Laughs) No let's see... The Artist, I really enjoyed, and My Week with Marilyn I really found enjoyable. I saw it on a plane so it was probably cut.

Z: Jared, you saw Drive?
JG: Yeah I saw it on a plane. It's not really much of a plane movie but I really liked it.

Z: No, it's great. I'm just surprised they showed something so violent on a plane.
KH: I'm sure it was all cut.
JG: It was kind of cut. You got to see a bit of it.

Z: So what do you guys think of Twilight? Have you read the books or seen the movies?
JG: I haven't. My mom has.
KH: I have read the books. I thought they were very beautiful stories. It was definitely something unique. The use of vampires and werewolves, it's so different than the traditional love story. It really made for an interesting read and the acting in those movies was very talented.

Z: But not a top five movie?
KH: You know, there's so many movies, when you asked to [Picture] list a top five it's very difficult.

Z: What about The Hunger Games? Did you see that?
JG: I haven't read the books, but I saw the movie. It was good.
KH: I have read the books and saw the movie. The books are delightful and the movie was a great representation of what they wanted to portray.

Z: I know you're a big bookworm Kara, do you want to be a writer?
KH: Absolutely, I do. I think that one day writing professionally is something I'd love to do in addition to acting.

Z: Jared, what about you? What else would you like to do besides acting?
JG: I love golfing. I have a big passion for golf, and I like to think I'm pretty good. I also like to make home movies and stuff like that so...

Z: What's your handicap?
JG: I don't have one yet (laughs).

Z: Do you see yourselves acting through your teens and into your twenties?
Both: Yeah.
KH: I absolutely want to continue acting. It's just something I really love doing and I would love to do it again and again and again for a long time to come.
JG: Same here.

Z: Are there any directors in particular you'd like to work with?
JG: Too many to name. I'm a huge movie buff so there's all these great directors and great movies to see so there's just too many to name right now.
KH: There are so many amazingly talented people out there. I think right now, I'm just focused on finding a great story. I think as long as it's a good story I'll be very pleased to work with any director.

Z: Good answer, it starts with the script right?
KH: Yes, it does.

Z: Thank you so much for joining us! Good luck!
KH: Thank you very much, it was a pleasure to meet you.
JG: Thank you. Nice to meet you.


0 komentar:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...